Friday, February 26, 2010

Much learned from my first wedding

As you may know I photographed my first wedding.  I had a great time and ready to do it again. I learned many things.
  1. Make a shot list. (and take it with you)
    1. Talk with your client to establish imtportan shots for them
  2. Establish a time with the wedding party to take formal pictures
  3. Use a low aperture to cut down clutter in the background and aid in low light conditions.
  4. Know the limitations of your flash.
    1. Shooting in low light is a challenge and in a later blog I will discuss how to deal with it.
  5. Don't get to caught up on one thing, you may miss something important.
    1. I think I foucused to much on details and forgot the wedding party. 
  6. It is would offer better coverage with two photographers
    1. This would aid in not taking away from the actual ceremony. An easy division of work would allow for better coverage.
  7. Try not to be so obvious
    1. I think I may have taken away from the actual ceremony with my movements in trying to get good shots. 

I did learn some things before the wedding that proved invaluable. A flash deflector proved invaluable and it was cheap and easy to make.  Check out the link here flash bounce .  This was a great tool that only cost two dollars.  It really even outs the skin tones and makes for a more professional lighting effect.  And saves a lot of work in photoshop later.

Stay tuned next week when I discus in depth some solutions for low light photography.