Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Playing with lighting


Tonight I took some time to play with the lighting kit before I break it out on Sunday for the wedding I am covering.  Everything seems to be working fine.  I really need to get a more attractive model.


These are examples of a using a gel on a white background




This is what the gels look like on the darker background.
Now, let me explain what the gels are and how they are used.  A gel is simply a heat resistant piece of  transparent plastic, that has translucent color added to it.  The gel will be placed over your light source to create a coloring effect to your image.  To create the effect like the one I have done, the light and gel is placed behind the subject pointed directly at the background.  I chose to slightly angle the light up, which allowed more coverage over the background.  This does not have to be done with an expensive light kit. This can be done with a colored flood lamp.  It is also important to note that I placed another key light at nearly a 45 degree angle about 5 feet in front of the subject (yes, that would be me).

Now, I want to just throw out some images that I took tonight using some other lighting techniques.  I am not sure what I will have more my next post.  Hopefully, I will be able to successfully pull off this wedding and have some photos of that up here next week.